In order to produce the podcast and keep content up free for you, I work with partners so this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure for more info.
Want to stop living paycheck to paycheck and start moving towards financial independence? Learn the process the Frugalwoods took to retire early together!
What are you two working towards, big picture wise? How often do you guys talk about it?
Talk can be cheap or it can be the start of an incredible journey.
Four years ago a conversation Liz had with her husband Nate was a trigger to achieving their huge dream of becoming financially independent and retiring early.
Working to Achieve Financial Independence Together
What would you do if you were retired right now?
You might expect me to say you too can retire early with just a few easy steps. But the truth is it’s much more complicated than that to break the cycle of consuming and working.
It’s going to take something very powerful a change in your mindset your finances and your lifestyle.
Today Liz, author of Meet the Frugalwoods: Achieving financial Independence Through Simple Living, is here to share their journey.
they'll inspire you to examine where you can start setting up your path towards financial independence.
In this episode, we get into:
- what moved Liz and Nate to go from dreaming about financial independence to making it a reality
- how they build a sustainable and enjoyable frugal lifestyle
- why do it yourself is not only good for your wallet but your marriage before their dream became a reality
Hope you enjoy!
Resources to Retire Early & Money Hacks
If you two are looking at early retirement or to become financially independent, check out these resources.
- Couple Money Toolkit
- Best Budget and Money Apps: Personal Capital, Tiller, Mint
- Automatic Saving:
- Free 401(k) Analysis: blooom
- Meet the Frugalwoods: Achieving Financial Independence Through Simple Living
- Uber Frugal Challenge
- Why We Don’t Micromanage Our Money
- Financial Independence and Parenthood
- The Joy That Comes When Less Is Enough
- The Shockingly Simple Math Behind Early Retirement
- Seven Characteristics of The Millionaire Next Door
- How To Score a $50 Car Payment For Life
And if you’re looking for a community to swap ideas and encouragement, please join Thriving Families on Facebook!
Meet the Frugalwoods
Elizabeth Willard Thames, better known as Mrs. Frugalwoods, is the creator of the award-winning personal finance blog, Frugalwoods.com.
At age 32 she reached financial independence and left a successful career in the city to create a more meaningful, purpose-driven life on a 66-acre homestead in the woods of Vermont with her husband and young daughter.
In 2018, Thames released her first book, “Meet The Frugalwoods: Achieving Financial Independence Through Simple Living”.
Support the Podcast!
Thank you so much for listening to the podcast!
- Spread the word! If you enjoyed this episode and think it can help a buddy get on the path to dumping debt and become financially free, please share.
- Leave a review. Honest feedback and reviews make a big difference and gets the word out about the podcast. Leave your review on Apple or Stitcher.
- Grab a copy of Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money. My book is designed for a busy couple to set up their finances in 4 weeks. Get tips and tools that have worked for other couples on their journey of building their marriage and wealth together!
Episode originally released August 2016. Recently updated September 2018