Frugal Foodie: Homebrewing and Gardening
In order to produce the podcast and keep content up free for you, I work with partners so this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure for more info.
Just because we're at home doesn't mean we can't still be frugal foodies.
Today, we'll look at how you can jumpstart a garden and start making craft brews at home!
Frugal Foodie at Home
Frugal foodie is back! If you're new to this series, it's where we explore ways you can eat well without breaking the budget.
For some though, when you hear frugal. It means cheap. I get it. Maybe, you know, someone who brags about getting the absolute lowest price on everything. Whether it's good or bad.
While you can save money being frugal, the real focus is getting the best value.
When it comes to food and really life, he don't want to settle for less just because it's the cheapest. You want to get the most out of what you have.
With this series, we look at ways that you can make your dollar go further. We've talked about getting great deals on food, whether it's grocery hacks, meal planning, or even going out to eat.
Today, we're going to look at another way you can enjoy fantastic meals and still keep things affordable.
We're talking about gardening and home brewing.
What was interesting was how incredibly relaxing these hobbies, where especially last year.
Many of us had more time at home in the usual options weren't always available. Family trips, checking out the museums or festivals were all off the table. We had to find ways to keep ourselves busy and have some creative outlets.
For us that included making home brews and being out in the garden.
We had home brewed years ago, but when we had two toddlers at home, it became more of a hassle so we took a hiatus.
Thankfully, we still had the equipment in our basement so when we felt like starting that back up last year, it was fairly simple.
The other hobby gardening is something we've been working on year after year, especially with this house. We have our main space Outback, where we grow hot peppers, tomatoes, different green strawberries and more.
2020 was still. You know, 20, 20, but it was good to have a project to work on. While, I don't think all of our Happy's have to be productive or optimize, I do feel like there are some great benefits. With making and growing your own food.
If you're really looking to make meals at home, more enjoyable and special, it's hard to beat something that you grew or made yourself.
Today, we're going to look at what it takes to get started so the two of you can level up and become frugal foodies.
In this episode, we'll go over:
- how you can set up an easy to maintain a garden in or outside your house
- Explore the fun of home brewing craft beers
- look at the numbers and see how they come out.
Are you ready? Let's get started!
Resources to Become a Frugal Foodie
If you’d like to try out your handy with gardening or homebrewing, here are some handy resources to help you get started!
- Best Budget and Money Apps: Personal Capital, Tiller, Mint
- TurboTax <— We use them for our taxes
- Free 401(k) Analysis: blooom
- Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money
- Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co
- Parents Should Grow Coronavirus Victory Gardens With Their Kids
- The Best Plants for Kids Who Garden
- American Brewmaster
- Does Homebrewing beer Save Money?
- How To Brew Your First Homemade Beer
- Homebrewing as a Couple
- Homebrewed Gifts for Your Friends
Thank You to Our Sponsor Coastal Credit Union!
Support for this podcast comes from Coastal Credit Union. If you’re living in the Raleigh Durham area and looking to bank better, come check out Coastal today!
We’ve been members for years and love their service and competitive rates on checking and savings accounts!
Support the Podcast!
Thank you so much for listening to the podcast! If you enjoyed this episode and found it helpful, here are some ways to support it.
- Spread the word! If you enjoyed this episode and think it can help a buddy get on the path to dumping debt and become financially free, please share.
- Leave a review. Honest feedback and reviews make a big difference and gets the word out about the podcast. Leave your rating and review on Apple Podcasts.
- Grab a copy of Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money. My book is designed for a busy couple to set up their finances in 4 weeks. Get tips and tools that have worked for other couples on their journey of building their marriage and wealth together!
Our theme song is from Staircases. Additional music by various artists from Audiio.