In order to produce the podcast and keep content up free for you, I work with partners so this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure for more info.
Want to save more and pay down your debt faster, but feel overwhelmed? Here are ten ways you can simplify your finances so you have more time to enjoy while still staying on top of your money!
How to Simplify Your Finances
Last week Mark and Lauren shared how they had worked together cut back on their previous lifestyle (and spending), became debt free, and have a stronger marriage.
Today we’re looking at how you can get started with simplifying your life so
In this episode, we'll get into:
- going for the big wins with your money
- ten ways to optimize your expenses
- simplifying your schedule so you can relax
Hope you enjoy!
[smart_track_player url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/couplemoney/10_Ways_to_Simplify_Your_Finances_to_Save_Money_and_Time.mp3″ social=”true” social_twitter=”true” social_facebook=”true” social_gplus=”true” ]
Resources to Maximize Your Bank Accounts
Are you two ready to master your joint accounts and create a system that fits your priorities and styles?
Here are some resources to check out!
- Best Budget and Money Apps: Empower, Tiller, Mint
- My book: Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money
- Coastal Federal Credit Union <- Our bank 😉
- Want a Happier Marriage? Combine Bank Accounts
- Finding the Best Banking and Investing Accounts
- Optimize Your Bank or Credit Union Accounts
- Track These 2 Key Numbers to Master Your Money
- Reaching Financial Independence Faster By Focusing on Big Wins
If you’d like to chat about your money moves for this year, you can join us in the Thriving Families Facebook community. We're a fun and supportive group.
We swap ideas, questions, stories, advice. When we try to help one another out with our family and financial goals.
We'd love to see you there!
Looking for Meaningful Wins
As you’ve heard on the podcast all this month – changing habits and developing a new system of doing things takes more than just willpower.
Having a reward or win can be a powerful motivator.
How many times have you’ve been frustrated by making a huge change and saving only chump
Don’t worry about the latte factor, instead go for big wins that matter to you.
What constitutes a big win is personal, but for myself it’s either:
- an easy change, where I can save a few hundred each year
- trimming a monthly expense by 20% or more
It’s not a hard and fast rule, but those wins tend to fuel me to continue cutting back on expenses.
10 Ways you Can Simplify Your Finances
Give your budget a boost this week by doing a test run and simplifying.
To jump-start you two, here are 10 ways you can stay on top of your finances without spending a ton of time!
- Switch to a 50/30/20 Budget
- Automate Savings at the Beginning of the Month
- Focus on One of Your 3 Biggest Expenses and Slash It by 20%
- Only Use Cash When Eating Out
- Skip Out on Credit Cards
- Schedule Your Bills to Be Out within 48 hours of Your Paycheck Coming In
- Track Your Spending with a Small Notebook
- Don’t Buy Any New Stuff
- Shop Around with Your Car Insurance
- Call and Cancel Your Cable
Simplify on Your Time Schedule
Pick one or two and try it out for one month. Sometimes with a shorter commitment, you’re more likely to keep a new habit or system.
This isn’t wasn’t about forcing or making you feel guilty enough to change, it’s about giving you two ideas so you can find what works best.
If you want to bump up your chances of keeping the changes, share it with me. Leave a comment on site, tweet me, or chat on Facebook.
Support the Podcast
Thank you so much for listening!
- Spread the word! If you enjoyed this episode and think it can help a buddy get on the path to dumping debt and become financially free, please share.
- Leave a review. Honest feedback and reviews make a big difference and gets the word out about the podcast. I’d love for more couples to work together to dump their debt and pursue their dreams together! Please leave your review on Apple or Stitcher.
- Grab a copy of Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money. My book is designed for a busy couple to set up their finances in 4 weeks. Get tips and tools that have worked for other couples on their journey of building their marriage and wealth together!
I appreciate your help. Let’s make talking about marriage and money fun!
This podcast episode was originally released January 2015. The show notes have been updated February 2023.