In order to produce the podcast and keep content up free for you, I work with partners so this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure for more info.
Today we’re answering your marriage and money questions – how to earn extra money on the side, figuring out your retirement number, and how to make the most of year-end bonus!
Marriage and Money Mailbag: Extra Income, Your Retirement Number, and More
Welcome to another community mailbag episode where we tackle your biggest marriage and money questions!
With the year wrapping up, you guys want to finish on a strong note and have sent some fantastic questions.
Today we’ll get into:
- How to make extra money when you don’t have time for a second job
- How to make your bonus go far
- Figuring out how much you two need to retire
Let’s get started!
[smart_track_player url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/couplemoney/S7E13_Marriage_and_Money_QA_Earn_Extra_Money_Figuring_Out_Your_Retirement_Number.mp3″ background=”default” social_pinterest=”true” ]
Resources to Win with Your Money
Want to go ahead and tackle your big marriage and money goals? Here are the resources we mentioned in today's episode along with some extras!
- Best Budget and Money Apps: Personal Capital, Tiller, Mint
- Grow Your Stash Faster: High Yield Savings with CiT Bank
- Automatic Saving: Qapital
- Free 401(k) Analysis: blooom
- Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money
- Rock Your Retirement
- The 4% Rule
- Your Side Hustle Is Worth A Lot More Than You Think
- Kevin's Side Hustle Reports (These side hustles helped him pay off over $87000 in less than 3 years!)
Earn Extra Money (without Getting a Second Job)
Many of you are looking to earn some extra money, but a second job wouldn't be feasible.
It could be that you don't want to take time away from your kids, getting daycare for the kids would negate the money you earn, or it would be more hassle having a second manager to appease and schedule around.
I get it – a second job can be more stress than it's worth.
The good news is that there are options you can try out that give you more flexibility with your schedule while still earning some money.
The buzz around the sharing economy sounds good, but you still need to be savvy with what you pick up to make extra money.
- Meal Delivery: On your way home from your main job, you may be able to snag a little extra money by making food deliveries with services like UberEats.
- Renting Out Your Space: Have an extra room? Depending on where you live you can use
AirBnbto earn money.
- Driving: Uber and Lyft give you an opportunity to make money getting people around your town.
- Pet Sitting: Love animals? You don't have to leave home with this gig! Get bucks while watching other pets. You can also dog walk with Wag.
- Scooter Charger: If your city has electric scooters, you could get paid for charging them.
- Merchandise: My friend Sandy makes money with her awesome mugs which she sells through Amazon.
Weigh the pros and cons to find a side gig that will fit your situation and goals.
Key Takeaways on Your Money Questions
Before we close up I want to focus on some key takeaways from your questions.
- Have an income stream independent from your job.
- Use your bonus to set yourself up for later and have some fun now.
- Calculate your retirement number on your expenses, not your income.
If you want to chat with me, ask questions, or share your own tips please join us over at Thriving Families on Facebook.
It’s a free, private, and positive community where we help one another out. Love to see you there!
Support the Podcast!
Thank you so much for listening to the podcast!
- Spread the word! If you enjoyed this episode and think it can help a buddy get on the path to dumping debt and become financially free, please share.
- Leave a review. Honest feedback and reviews make a big difference and gets the word out about the podcast. Leave your review on Apple or Stitcher.
- Grab a copy of Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money. My book is designed for a busy couple to set up their finances in 4 weeks. Get tips and tools that have worked for other couples on their journey of building their marriage and wealth together!