How to Protect Yourself Against Financial Scams and Fraud
In order to produce the podcast and keep content up free for you, I work with partners so this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure for more info.
Part of protecting your finances means managing your accounts, both online and offline. Today we’ll share how you can protect yourself against fraud and scams!
Keeping an Eye Out for Scams and Fraud
Being on top of your accounts is an absolute necessity if you want to protect your finances.
Between the scams, fraud, and data breaches that are out, there are plenty of opportunities for people to get access to your accounts.
And while we can't fix things in an instant, there they are some things you can do to protect your finances and yourselves.
Joe Mecca from Coastal Federal Credit Union is back to wrap up this two-parter.
In this episode we get into:
- Big offline scams and online phishing to watch out for
- Protecting yourself with strong passwords
- Apps and resources to protect you and your finances
We have a lot to cover, so let’s get started!
[smart_track_player url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/couplemoney/S7E11_How_to_Protect_Yourself_Against_Financial_Fraud_and_Scams.mp3″ background=”default” social_pinterest=”true” ]
Resources to Protect Your Identity and Finances
If you’ve had your wallet or purse stolen or lost, here are some resources we mentioned in the episode as well as some other handy articles to check out:
- Best Budget and Money Apps: Personal Capital, Tiller, Mint, Honeyfi
- CardNav App: Android |Apple
- Protecting Yourself from Identity Theft
- FBI Futurist Shares His Top 5 Tips For Protecting Your Identity Online
- How to Fight Back Against Identity Theft
- The Equifax Data Breach: What to Do if You’re Affected
- Coastal Federal Credit Union
- Credit Union Locator
- Annual Credit Report:
to review each of your credit reports Freeway
For freezing your accounts or putting an alert you need to contact the credit bureaus.
- Equifax: 1-888-766-0008
- Experian: 1-888-397-3742
- TransUnion: 1-800-680-72892
Key Takeaways on Dealing with Scams
Before we close up I want to focus on some key takeaways I got from my discussion with Joe.
- Verify, verify.
- Create strong passwords.
- Use a Password Manager.
There’s so much more we can cover, but if you want to talk about your experience and share some key tips that helped you, please join us over at Thriving Families on Facebook.
It’s a free, private, and positive community where we help one another out. We'd love to see you there!
Support the Podcast!
Thank you so much for listening to the podcast!
- Spread the word! If you enjoyed this episode and think it can help a buddy get on the path to dumping debt and become financially free, please share.
- Leave a review. Honest feedback and reviews make a big difference and gets the word out about the podcast. Leave your review on Apple or Stitcher.
- Grab a copy of Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money. My book is designed for a busy couple to set up their finances in 4 weeks. Get tips and tools that have worked for other couples on their journey of building their marriage and wealth together!
Like the music in this episode? Our theme song is by Gentle Regime. Additional music by Lee Rosevere.
This episode was originally released in November 2018. Show notes have been updated in May 2021.