In order to produce the podcast and keep content up free for you, I work with partners so this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure for more info.
Cryptocurrency is part of the mainstream conversation and in the news, but should it be a part of your investment plan?
We decode the terminology and tech, go over the difference between speculation and investments so you can decide if it's the right move for you!\
Should We Invest in Cryptocurrency?
We’re talking about a topic that’s been popping up all over – cryptocurrency.
Just this year alone, BitCoin, Etherum, and others are on a roller coaster ride.
Coinbase went public just this April.
I’ve gotten questions first about exactly how these currencies work and second if it’s something to invest in.
In some cases, one of you is all excited to jump in this new opportunity while the other is skeptical or against it.
Like any major decision, it’s important for your marriage and money to discuss your options and see if it fits in with your goals and financial plan.
In this episode, we get into:
- the essentials about blockchain technology and some of the biggest currency
- what you need to first have in place financially
- what to consider as you two discuss whether cryptocurrency is right for you
We got plenty to cover so let’s get started!
Resources to Learn More About Cryptocurrencies and Better handle your finances
- Best Budget and Money Apps: Personal Capital, Tiller, Mint
- Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money
- Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System by Satoshi Nakamoto
- Ethereum Whitepaper by Vitalik Buterin
- NFTs, Explained
- Blockchain and Money – MIT Open Courseware
- Like it or not, you should probably start paying attention to bitcoin
- The blockchain catalyst for change
- How blockchain can solve the payments riddle
- Bitcoin Losers
Thank You to Our Sponsor Coastal!
Support for this podcast comes from Coastal Credit Union! If you’re living in the Raleigh Durham area and looking to bank better, come check out Coastal today.
We’ve been Coastal members for a few years have been happy with their services.
They have wonderful services and accounts to make saving easier including their competitive money market accounts!
Slash Your Phone Bill with Republic Wireless!
I'm so happy to announce our new sponsor Republic Wireless.
If you’re looking to hit your family’s financial goals faster, optimizing your expenses is the way to go. Chances are you’re paying too much for your smartphone and not getting the value you deserve.
Same thing happened to me years ago. Wanting to become debt free faster, I switched to Republic Wireless and saved big time.
Nationwide coverage, fantastic phone options like the Samsung Galaxy and Moto g, plus seriously affordable prices (plans start at $15/month!) make it a smart choice for families looking to save without sacrificing value.
See all they have to offer at Republic Wireless!
Support the Podcast!
Thank you so much for listening to the podcast! If you enjoyed this episode and found it helpful, here are some ways to support it.
- Spread the word! If you enjoyed this episode and think it can help a buddy get on the path to dumping debt and become financially free, please share.
- Leave a review. Honest feedback and reviews make a big difference and gets the word out about the podcast. Leave your rating and review on Apple Podcasts.
- Grab a copy of Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money. My book is designed for a busy couple to set up their finances in 4 weeks. Get tips and tools that have worked for other couples on their journey of building their marriage and wealth together!
Key Takeaways on Crypto
Before we wrap up, I want to share a few key takeaways I got from preparing this episode.
- Invest in educating yourself about the tech behind cryptocurrency. This technology is not going away. Becoming familiar with it can put you in a better financial position even if you're not directly getting into cryptocurrency.
- Make sure that crypto is aligned with your goals and risk tolerance before jumping in. For some couples, there's this anxiety and fear of missing out which is not good when you're trying to think longterm and objectively about the best financial decision.
- Focus on investing, not speculation. There's a lot of hype and volatility to sort through. So make sure that as you're putting money in, if you decide to go that route, that you understand that this is for the long-term. And not some get rich, quick scheme.
If you want to discuss this more – ask questions, swap ideas, maybe learn a little bit more about cryptocurrencies from others who have gone into this space – don’t forget to join us in the Thriving Families group on Facebook.
We’re all about helping one another out with our family and financial goals.
Hope to see you there!