Working Through Illness and Financial Lows to Abundant Permaculture with Justin and Rebekah Rhodes
In order to produce the podcast and keep content up free for you, I work with partners so this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure for more info.
Learn how Justin and Rebekah Rhodes of Abundant Permaculture worked through illness and financial lows to create a family business around sustainable farming (while raising four kids)!
Becoming a More Self Sufficient Family through Permaculture
This week's podcast is a personal fave of mine. As we're taking on DIY projects, including growing more of our own food, I discovered Abundant Permaculture.
Justin Rhodes the go to guy to learn about rasing chickens from egg to plate. He and wife Rebekah also have a growing YouTube series documenting their family living and working on their farm.
In this episode we get into:
- how they worked through a serious health issue that drained their finances
- how they supported one another while making a career change
- the realities of running a family business and raising 4 kids
[smart_track_player url=”http://traffic.libsyn.com/couplemoney/Abundant_Permaculture_with_Justin_Rebekah_Rhodes.mp3″ social=”true” social_twitter=”true” social_facebook=”true” social_gplus=”true” ]
Thanks to Justin and Rebekah for coming on! Please check them out at Abundant Permaculture to get practical tips on how to live a more sustainable life.
Resources to Save Money
Looking to save more around the house? Want to grow more of your own food?
Here are some of the resources to stay on top of your finances as well as a few of my favorite permaculture sites!
- Best Budget and Money Apps: Personal Capital, Tiller, Mint
- Automatic Saving:
- Free 401(k) Analysis:
- Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money
- The Rhodes' YouTube Channel
- Geoff Lawton
- Introduction to Permaculture by Bill Mollison
- Suburban Homestead
- Permaculture Homestead
- Permaculture Chickens
- Just Plant
Meet Justin & Rebekah Rhodes of Abundant Permaculture
I first heard about Justin and Rebecca after we moved into our current house. One of our
As I was digging around I discovered permaculture and I found Justin and Rebekah Rhodes of Abundant Permaculture. They were a fellow North Carolinian couple who were living a simple, productive, and fun life while raising four small kids.
They've done some extraordinary things together like a The Great American Farm tour, a documentary and guide Permaculture Chicken, and keep up regularly on YouTube.
They also help families become more self-sufficient with their DIY Abundance community.
Key Takeways on Becoming More Self-Sufficient
I loved chatting with
- Build and work within your circumstances. Due to Justin's condition, the Rhodes family had to change how they farmed. Permaculture was a practical solution that eventually developed into a profitable and passion source of income.
- Work together to take the leap. Justin needed to get certified which meant travel and time away from the family. Being on the same page meant he could focus on his education while Rebekah handled the family back home.
- Juggling entrepreneurship and parenthood is hard. There's no magic bullet to making it work. You just have to work and adjust as needed.
If you’d like to chat more, please join us in our private and free Facebook group – Thriving Families.
We’re families looking to support and help one another out. Hope to see you there!
Support the Podcast
Thank you so much for listening!
- Spread the word! If you enjoyed this episode and think it can help a buddy get on the path to dumping debt and become financially free, please share.
- Leave a review. Honest feedback and reviews make a big difference and gets the word out about the podcast. I’d love for more couples to work together to dump their debt and pursue their dreams together! Please leave your review on Apple or Stitcher.
- Grab a copy of Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money. My book is designed for a busy couple to set up their finances in 4 weeks. Get tips and tools that have worked for other couples on their journey of building their marriage and wealth together!
I appreciate your help. Let’s make talking about marriage and money fun!
Like the music in this episode? Our theme song is by Gentle Regime. Additional music by Lee Rosevere