How to Have the Money Talk as a Couple (without Fighting)
In order to produce the podcast and keep content up free for you, I work with partners so this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure for more info.
Looking to dump the debt and build wealth together? Learn how you two can have the money talk without starting a fight!
Talking About Money with Your Spouse
In this week’s episode, we’ll be discussing one of the biggest concerns couples have when it comes to love and finances – having the money talk.
When I say the, I mean the exposing your finances to one another. This is a big step and scary step, especially if there is some messiness like debt involved.
For years, I shared monthly net worth updates on Couple Money, but I never really got into the first time we had an open and honest conversation about our finances. We're going to fix that today.
My husband joins me on the podcast as we reminisce about our own money chat.
We began having money chats after we got engaged. It's been a gamechanger.
Did we do everything right? No.
We built a foundation that has helped us find a way to communicate and get a system started for handling our money.
I also share some tools and tips that you can use to prepare you for when you have to talk to your spouse about finances.
[smart_track_player url=”http://media.blubrry.com/couplemoney/traffic.libsyn.com/couplemoney/CM_002_Tips_for_Talking_About_Money_with_Your_Spouse.mp3″ ]
Subscribe to Couple Money Podcast via iTunes, Stitcher, or copy this link to use with your favorite podcast app. You can also find me hanging out on Twitter and Facebook.
Resources on Marriage & Money
If you want to build your marriage and wealth together, here are a few of my favorite resources.
- Best Budget and Money Apps: Personal Capital, Tiller, Mint
- Grow Your Stash Faster: High Yield Savings with CiT Bank
- Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money
- Your Money or Your Life: If you two are thinking about financial independence and perhaps retiring early, this is a wonderful book to jump into. It’s looks and both the finances and the mindset to becoming debt free, having a career that fits your values, and investing for the future.
- Total Money Makeover: Dave Ramsey’s bestseller gives simple and powerful steps to help you get out of debt and build your net worth.
- I Will Teach You to Be Rich: Name sounds scammy, but the information inside is incredibly useful. I love how Ramit gives actual scripts you can use to get fees waived, slash some of your bills, and even having the money talk.
Support the Podcast!
Thank you so much for listening to the podcast!
- Spread the word! If you enjoyed this episode and think it can help a buddy get on the path to dumping debt and become financially free, please share.
- Leave a review. Honest feedback and reviews make a big difference and gets the word out about the podcast. Leave your review on Apple or Stitcher.
- Grab a copy of Jumpstart Your Marriage and Your Money. My book is designed for a busy couple to set up their finances in 4 weeks. Get tips and tools that have worked for other couples on their journey of building their marriage and wealth together!
This episode was originally released on October 2014. Show notes have been updated September 2019.