In order to produce the podcast and keep content up free for you, I work with partners so this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure for more info.
I'm not fond of flying mainly because of the uncertainty of customer service we'll get. We've had wonderful service and we've had some bad service that I hope we avoid this trip.
I would like to have everything in 2 carry on bags and since this is only for a week, we should be able to pull this off.
Our Packing List
Besides underwear and socks, I wanted to include our packing list as a reminder for us and a way to keep us focused.
I'll update this when we pack for the trip to see if I keep to the plan.
- Athletic shoes
- Boxers / Briefs
- Dress Shirt &Tie
- Dress shoes
- Swim Trunks
- Bathing suit -2
- Dress -2
- Versatile Tops -5
- Tank tops -5
I plan on layering my outfits and keeping the shirts light.
- Makeup bag
- Facial cleanser
- Dental floss
- Styling products
Packing Tips for Stuff
When we vacationed before, I went to Wiki How and picked up on some great packing advice that I still use.
- Pack clothing using the “roll” technique. Lay a few items on top of one another, flatten them out, and roll them up like you would a sleeping bag. This simple technique will save space and prevent wrinkles. For added wrinkle insurance, place a sheet of heavy tissue or packing paper between items of clothing before rolling.
- Enclose toiletry containers in airtight plastic bags to prevent contents from spilling into your suitcase in the event of a leak. Wrap socks or pajamas around breakable items to cushion them.
- Have travel size toiletries. If you need more, you can grab some at the hotel or a nearby store.
Rolling our clothes has definitely helped and we're able to fit more in the same bag.
United Checked Baggage and Carry On Policies and Fees
- United/Canada: $25 for first checked baggage, $30 for the second
- International: First checked bag is free; 2nd is $45-$50
To qualify as a carry on, you must follow United's guidelines, which say your bag:
- must fit under your seat or in the overhead bin;
- must not be more than 9 x 14 x 22 inches (23 x 35 x 56 cm) or 45 linear inches* (114 linear cm); and
- may be required to travel as checked baggage if the bag cannot be safely stowed on your flight.
For more information, check out United's site for the latest prices.
Your Thoughts on Packing for Vacations
I know some of you are regular travels, so I hoping you have some advice on packing light. What are your favorite must-pack items?