In order to produce the podcast and keep content up free for you, I work with partners so this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure for more info.
Are you two planning on a move soon? Whether your plan on doing it yourselves or hiring movers, you’re probably looking for ways to save.
How to Save Money with Moving
Here are some tips to reduce stress and keep more of your money in your wallet.
- Unload your junk. Moving is a wonderful exercise to lose some extra baggage. Host a yard sale and earn some extra money or you can donate your goods. Remember to keep your receipts to use tax time when you claim deductions.
- Grab as many free boxes as you can! $1-3 per box might sound like much, but when you’re talking about 100 of them for a typical move it can be a huge chunk of money. Check Freecycle and Craigslist’s Free for boxes. You can also check out retailers in your area. We found some great sturdy boxes for books from the liquor store (don’t judge!) and Dollar General.
- If you do it yourself, spend $20 or so and get moving straps. It will save you time and your back with thank you for it.
- Before you hire a mover, check their references and ratings. There are horror stories out there of mover breaking, damaging, or losing stuff. Protect yourself as much as possible and make sure it’s a reputable company that has insurance.
- If you rent a truck, double check insurance coverage. Call your auto insurance company and see if they cover you. If not, go ahead and pay the extra fee to have some peace of mind.
You can use that money you save for other things like turning your next place from a house or an apartment into a home.
Thoughts on Moving on a Budget
I’d love to get your tips on moving. What has been a huge help for you? What tips have made things less stressful?
Build Wealth Together
Stop worrying about money and start dumping your debt and building wealth as couple!
Get our free guide on how to hack your goals. Make 2019 your best year ever!