Preparing for an Emergency
In order to produce the podcast and keep content up free for you, I work with partners so this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure for more info.
Superstorm Sandy has certainly caused havoc. We have heard from most of our loved ones living in the area hit, but power is still out in many places and I believe that it will be a few more days before I hear from some family members.
Living more inland in North Carolina, we have fortunately escaped the storm. Unfortunately many families have not and are dealing with many stresses, including loss of power.
While having an emergency fund is certainly important, it doesn't really mean much if your family lack the essential supplies to ride out during a storm recovery. I wanted to send out a reminder to grab supplies BEFORE a storm or emergencies happens.
Essential Emergency Supplies
According to sites like FEMA and the Red Cross, there some vital supplies that you need to have to be prepared for a storm.
- Water—one gallon per person, per day (3 day supply for evacuation, 2 week supply for home)
- Food— nonperishable, easy to prepare items (3 day supply for evacuation, 2 week supply for home)
- Battery powered or hand crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
- Extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Medications (7day supply) and medical items
- Multipurpose tool
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
- Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
- Cell phone with chargers
- Family and emergency contact information
- Extra cash
- Emergency blanket
- Map(s) of the area
If you don't have the supplies and a storm or another emergency is coming, please consider evacuating temporarily. You really don't want to be stuck without the essentials, especially if you have kids.
Thoughts on Preparing for an Emergency
I'd love to hear from you and how prepared you are for emergencies. What do you have in your supply kit? What do you need to grab to complete your bag?
Photo Credit: craigemorsels
While we had most of the supplies prepared, one thing that i did not have and really wish i did during the storm was a hand crank radio. ordered one as soon as i got the power back 🙂