In order to produce the podcast and keep content up free for you, I work with partners so this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure for more info.
With summer time approaching and the weather heading toward hot, some people will be running their air conditioners soon. They may also be worrying about their electric bill.
We too have been looking for ways to lower our utilities. Last year we signed up for Progress Energy’s EnergyWise program. In addition to getting a $25 credit annually, we also agreed to have a device installed on our air conditioning unit. The company basically can It’s been small savings, so that’s a nice improvement on our budget.
Cut Your Electric Bill
It’s not hard to reduce your energy expenses. In fact much of it is about being aware of the small things, such as:
- Turn off. If we’re going on a weekend trip or longer, we turn off all of our devices.
- Unplug. Turning off appliances isn’t enough; they are in standby mode which is drawing some power. Not much individually, but if you have a ton of gadgets and appliances, you may want to get into the habit of unplugging or buy a smart power strip and have it do it for you.
- Cover windows. Depending on what side your windows face, you can cover some them to reflect instead of absorbing some of the heat.
- Grill more. You can keep your house cooler by not running the oven and stove as much. Plus, who doesn’t love a family cookout?
- Change your filters. Stay on top of your a/c filters and replace them regularly.
With a bit of effort you can keep your bill low this summer. I’d love to hear from you and get your advice. How do you save on your electricity bill?
If you’re looking for even more tips, this infographic has some additional ways on how to save money on your electric bill.
Build Wealth Together
Stop worrying about money and start dumping your debt and building wealth as couple!
Get our free guide on how to hack your goals. Make 2019 your best year ever!